Monday, January 19, 2009

NBA vacuum

My first year in Cincinnati was 2000-2001, the year the Bucks went deep into the playoffs. Of course there's no NBA team in Cincinnati, but I didn't realize just how dead the NBA was to this city. I was watching the deciding game that would send us to the NBA finals on TNT when my cable inexplicably went out. So I really quick got in the car and headed to Willie's, my local sports bar.

Now this is a true sports bar, with maybe 15 TV's scattered in the whole place. I walk in, I think it's a Tuesday night, and all 15 TV's have a NASCAR race on. In fact, I would say it was a replay of a NASCAR race because it was during the day, and I was there at night. I ask the server if they could put on the basketball game, and she says "what game?" I'm thinking, "um, game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals?"

Well I did end up watching the game, and when Glenn Robinson missed that baseline shot, there was no one in the bar to lament too.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Blazers beat your Bucks.
:D

Eric said...

I feel your pain -- especially being a native Cincinnatian, and having no home team. After years of having access to only a few games per week, I've been enjoying the NBA League Pass the past few!

I often dream of starting a campaign to bring the NBA to Cincinnati. But I snap back to reality when I realize it would probably be me and 7 other people.

Dale said...

You might draw more fans than [insert bad team here]

Eric said...

umm.. the Bucks?